*** No Masses this weekend ***
Due to unforeseen circumstances all Masses this week and on Saturday 8th and Sunday 9th August have been cancelled.
Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause, please do remember that live stream services remain available from St Edmund’s church in Beckenham.
Mass will be back at St James on Tuesday 11th August at 10am.
Pondering the Word/Lectio Divina: an ancient way of praying the Scriptures
Mondays (except Bank Holidays) 11.00-12 noon via Zoom (please register with the parish office in advance via email only)
A quiet reflective look at the Gospel for next Sunday
- For those not familiar with Pondering the Word, or Lectio Divina, it is a way of prayerfully contemplating a passage of Scripture; in this instance, the Gospel for next Sunday. (Please feel free to bring a Bible or Missal)
- It is grounded in the fundamental premise that ‘the Word of God is alive and active’ (Heb.4:12) and has something to say to each one of us.
- It is not Bible study and it is not a discussion group. The emphasis is rather on silence: listening rather than talking.
- Be assured. You are not obliged to say anything. We are all part of the prayer just by being there.
- There are 4 stages in the process: Reading; Reflecting; Responding and Resting.
- At each stage the text is read aloud; followed by silence. In that silence you are invited, aloud or in silence, to name your connection with the text.
- The experience will be different for everyone. If the first word catches your attention, and nothing else, that is fine. If you find yourself proceeding at a different pace, or in a different order, that too, is fine. We are allowing God to lead us.
- Come and see!
Creative Pilgrims: Monday 3rd, 10th, 17th August at 7.30 – 8.30pm via video call (Zoom)
How can we pray with art? How does God speak to us through the arts? How has God been moving during the lockdown and been using this difficult time to speak to us?
We would like to invite you to meet with others online via the new parish Zoom for an hour one evening to share either artwork or poetry you have created or a painting/poem/ photograph/ song/ dance or other artform created by someone else, that has helped you over recent months and how God has touched and spoken to you through this.
Please feel free to bring a glass of wine and invite friends or family to join in too!
Please contact the parish office to book your place and you will be sent the zoom link to join online on the evening (you will need to download Zoom to your laptop in advance).